19 Nov Mudgee to Gloucester and Nearby NSW, Australia
Mudgee – A Region Flowing with Fine Wine
Mudgee is the third largest wine growing area in New South Wales, with over 40 vineyards within its boundaries.
We visited Mudgee in September 2018 to attend “Flavours of Mudgee”, part of the month-long food and wine festival, held there in September each year.
Part of the entertainment at “Flavours of Mudgee” – 4pm – 8pm Saturday 22nd September
Later in the evening at “Flavours of Mudgee”
Fun was in the air, fuelled by performances from local musicians, an abundance of good wine and no shortage of food. We had such a great time, I forgot to take more photos.
Mudgee is a very pleasant town, the residence are friendly and there are many wonderful heritage buildings to photograph.
The Lawson Park Hotel commenced trading as Tattersalls Hotel in mid 1860’s.
It was renamed The Lawson Park Hotel in 1970’s becasue of it’s across the road from Lawson Park. In turn, Lawson Park was named after the explorer William Lawson (of Blaxland, Lawson and Wentworth fame – first Eupropeans to cross the Blue Mountains
Sadly, the Regent closed its doors several years ago. There is a proposal to demolish most of it and build apartments.
St John’s Anglican Church
Memorial Clock Tower and St Mary of the Presentation Catholic Church
Love the paint work and style of the Mudgee Post Office
Multi-function Town Hall – such an attractive building
Built in 1920s, occupied by the State Bank of NSW, followed by the Rural Bank in mid 1930s. Looks beautifuly maintained by its current owners.
Rylstone, Rylestone or Royal Stone
There are several explanations for the name Rylstone (written Rylestone on some early maps). One Irishman’s tale suggests he slept on a “royal stone” at this location and the locals thought he said “ryle stone” (Wikipedia). What is a royal Stone or a ryle stone? Not the most likely of explanations for adopting this name.
The Bridge View Inn, now divided into several small hospitality businesses.
Rylstones’s Catholic Church built circa 1870 in Gothic style – front extension completed in 1960
St George and the Bears
This is one of several old beer advertising posters fixed to an exterior wall of the Rylstone Hotel
Repurposed Post Office
Constable’s Residence, “with decorative verandah” – current Police Station behind residence.
Gulgong – The Town on the old $10 Note
Until recently this was the town on the Australian $10 note. Unfortunately the new $10 note doesn’t included Gulgong.
It won’t be difficult to rebrand this town, as the preservation of so many old buildings and the town structure are the attractions.
The corner of Mayne and Herbert Streets, once a hive of activity
Looking down Herbert Street to several preserved buildings – Pioneer Museum furhter down on right.
Old advertising on the Pioneer Museum’s external wall
Gulgong is famous for its gold rush heritage, which is the main reason the town featured on our “old” $10 note. In fact, many of the existing buildings hail from that time, when the population swelled to 20,000 residents. Current population – 2,521 (Australian Census 2016).
Herbert Street, looking back towards Mayne Street. Note the building banner (to the left). Sun Tong Lee Sydney Branch Store (established during the gold rush of 1870’s).
The following “advertorial” is from the Gulgong Advertiser, 29th September 1871.
Glorious news. Sun Tong Lee, General storekeeper, begs to inform Hoteliers, Miners and others that he has opened a branch of his Sydney store in Herbert Street (Gulgong) , with a choice and well-assorted stock of groceries, drapery, ironmongery, hardware, boots, rope, tin ware, at such low prices as will enable everybody to patronize him and get full value for their money. His goods are all new, and of the best description. Remember – Sun Tong Lee – Herbert Street.’ (information courtesy of Mudgeehistory.com.au)
On our way from Mudgee to Gloucester we stopped for the night at Jerrys Plains.
The Jayco Hilton front and (not quite) centre, remained hitched in the Recreation Ground.
Donations for overnight stays are rquested, payable at the Servo. Just make certain the “dump point” is not locked before getting too comforatable.
It’s a very small town; with a “servo”, a “pub”, a “Cop Shop”, a school, a church and a cemetery. All of these are on the main Street … except …
The Cemetery, the school and the “Cop Shop” are in a side street
We found the Police Station, next to an attractive old cottage. And the school was opposite.
Didn’t look for the cemetery … but found the church.
St James Anglican Church, Jerrys Plains
Guess where the church is located.
The Church is on Pagan Street, almost opposite this sign.
Just as surprising, the Golden Highway is Pagan Street (at least in Jerrys Plains it is)
Not so surprising, the pub is on Pagan Street too.
It offers a small range of beers on tap, but despite what the sign indicates, there’s no food of any kind available here.
Gloucester and “The Bucketts”
Having set up our caravan at Gloucester’s Holiday Park along with a group of friends, this became the base for more strenuous activities, like the Bucketts Scenic Walk.
All fresh, near the start of the walk. The Buckets Mountain at the top left of this photo is the destination.
It doesn’t look like a long walk from her and the incline is also deceptive.
Facing east, back towards Gloucester
We reached the summit, 300 meters above sea level. Okay its not really a mountain, since Gloucester is 111m above sea level, but it still took some effort to get up there.
Ahhh … we all made it safely back down again … isn’t that what John’s smile says?
On a subsequent day we took on the Barrington Tops, cycling 34 km, uphill and down dale in around 3 hours (not including a half hour food stop). Lots of fords on the way (water crossings, not cars).
The Halfway Rest
The signs indicate 17 km to Gloucester the way we came, or 17 km to Gloucester through Barrington on the road to the left. We took the road through Barrington and the promise of a beer and a pie along the way.
View from the “halfway point”
Friendly witnesses to our ride, near Barrington
Stroud – Straight out of the Convict Era
Stroud was created in the 1820s for the Australian Agricultural Company and was constructed by the company’s convict workforce. While some of these constructions still exist, most of the buildings I photographed are from a slightly later date.
The Stroud Post Office was built in 1884
Stroud’s 2nd Court House, built on the site of the first in 1876. Since 1988 it has been home to the Historical Society.
The Central Hotel and butchery on the main road through town (Bucketts Way).
Plenty of shade afforded by the old Stroud shop verandas.
Stroud’s School of Arts on the sount end of town
One hundred meters back towards the town centre is the Uniting Church.
The Dungog Festival
We were there on the right day, but arrived a little early to see any “acts” on the main stage.
Waiting …. waiting …. let’s look around
Ukulele Band – The Funeral Directors? (ha ha)
Another shot of the band to included the bloke on the right, since he looked the part.
“All by his lonesome” – I’m a fan of the clarinet and loved his outfit.
Still no sound from the main stage, so we continued to wander.
NAB your money here
Bank on getting a drink here
RSL Memorial Hall, was opened in 1920 as the Memorail Town hall and Coucil Chambers
St Josephs Catholic School Office, was origianlly the Sisters of St Joseph Convent. It was poened in 1892, four years after the school was established.
Original license was granted to Dungog Settlers Arms Hotel in 1854, at this location
It became the Court House Hotel in 1868 and closed in 1999. Not certain when it reopened and returned to being The Settlers Arms. Current ownere took over in 2012.
Walking the streets of Australian country towns is something we thoroughly enjoy and is often an important part of our caravan trips. Obviously this trip provided plenty of opportunities to do so.
Feel free to add a comment below.